A magnificently large mahogany library bookcase retailed by the famed nineteenth century cabinet making and furniture dealing firm Edwards & Roberts.
The Edwards & Roberts partnership began in 1845 at premises on London’s Wardour Street where they were described variously as:
Antique & Modern Cabinet Makers & Importers of Ancient Furniture – Kelly’s London Directory 1854
Antique Furniture Dealers – Kelly’s London Directory 1860
By 1870 the company had prospered enough to expand their presence on Wardour Street (a centre for furniture making at the time) and also move to premises on Little Chapel Street & Great Chapel Street.
In 1892 until the company’s demise in 1899, they occupied premises at 148 – 160 Wardour Street and at 532 Oxford Street.
Given the firm’s history of dealing in antique and ancient furniture, it is little surprise that its reputation today largely rests on their manufacturing of eighteenth and early nineteenth century reproductions but their output considered a range of styles throughout their years of trading.
This style of bookcase with its clean lines and reduced decoration was one that gained popularity during the early nineteenth century and was manufactured by the likes of William Smee and others. During the 1870’s and 1880’s the style re-emerged and was again produced by companies such as, Heals, CR Light & Son and of course Edwards & Roberts. This bookcase hails from this later period and would have been directly manufactured by the firm. It bears the company’s stamp to top of the base door.
A magnificent piece of furniture with clean lines and angular classical pediment, it collapses into three sections for ease of movement and maintains its original glazing and has working locks and key.
Depth of base: 51cms
Depth of glazed section: 31cms
Width of base: 151cms
Width of glazed section: 139cms