Late Victorian Mahogany & Leather Open Armed Desk Chair by Bartholomew & Fletcher, London
A late Victorian mahogany and leather open armed desk chair by Bartholomew & Fletcher Upholsterers, 217 & 219 Tottenham Court Road, London.
This shapely chair has turned front legs and castors. Both the legs and pillar supports have lovely fluted detailing to both. It has been completely reupholstered in black buttoned leather following the pattern of the original. The chair also contains a brass plaque to the front rail with the maker name and address details.
Bartholomew & Fletcher although less known today, were prominent furniture manufacturers in the second half of the nineteenth century up until the First World War. Formed in 1843, numerous adverts for their services exist in newspapers throughout the period and they seemed to have traded from their Tottenham Court Road address throughout. Like many of their counterparts, the company specialised in reproducing furniture styles such as Chippendale and Sheraton to feed the strong demand for revival furniture during the Victorian period.