Late Victorian Oak Decanter Box by Leuchars
A superb late Victorian Oak Decanter box by the renowned London and Paris makers Leuchars.
The beautifully figured oak decanter box contains four lipped glass decanters with hexagonal cut stoppers with original leather covered divisional interior. The lid interior has been restored with padded navy velvet in direct reference to its original. This top quality box is completed with its original Bramah lock and key, brass hinges and famous Leuchars maker’s plate. The plate reads:
“Leuchars 38 & 39 Piccadilly London & 2 Rue de la Paix. Paris”
To the front of the box is an ivorine plaque with the humorous lettering “Last Gentleman please Close the Box” suggesting that this decanter may have originally been purchased for a Gentleman’s Club or an Officer’s Military Mess.
Leuchars was a maker of serious quality throughout the Nineteenth Century. Formed in 1794, this family owned business went on to win prizes at The Great Exhibition of 1851 and at the subsequent Paris Exhibition’s in the 1860’s. They received a Royal Warrant during Victoria’s reign and as a result were patronised by many of the aristocracy. Winston and Lady Churchill were also known to be customers.
In respect to dating this decanter set, Leuchars opened their Paris store in 1870 and went on to win further accolades at the Paris Exhibition of 1878. The site at Rue de la Paix was renowned for the quality of its shops and was a must for wealthy patrons across both Europe and the US. The business was finally sold to Asprey’s in 1888 however, the company continue to trade as Leuchars until 1902 under their stewardship.
Owing to the maker’s plate, this set can be reliably dated to between 1870 and 1900 as it references the Paris Store.