A nineteenth century Wedgwood pearlware wine label or bin end label manufactured for Charles Farrow, London.
The front of the label is blank with a pre-glazed strip to allow for a transfer or for the label to be written upon. The reverse is stamped “Charles Farrow London” with a Wedgwood mark. It has some further impressed lettering which is unfortunately too indistinct to read.
Used by vineyards, wine merchants or for country house cellars, these labels were required for ensuring that unmarked bottles were correctly categorised whilst in storage or just to provide guidance for sectioned areas of a cellar. They were nailed or hooked directly onto wine racks.
Wedgwood manufactured these labels for Farrow and Jackson, (famous wine merchant & spirit merchants and general engineers for the drinks industry) throughout the nineteenth century.
The company was founded in 1798 and was based at 16 Great Tower Street, London and continued in business into the latter part of the twentieth century.
Circa 1840 – 1860