Regency Period Gilt Framed Convex Mirror by Thomas Fentham & Co
A Regency period gilt framed convex mirror by Thomas Fentham & Co.
This beautifully crafted mirror is comprised of Regency rope twist design to the outer border and ebonised and reeded fillets to the inner border surrounding the original covex mirror plate. The plate has an even foxing throughout but still maintains its reflective qualities.
To the reverse of the mirror is affixed, Thomas Fentham & Co’s original trade card. The text surrounded by a floral border reads, “Thomas Fentham & Co, No 136 The Strand near Somerset House, Manufactures of looking glasses, convex and concave mirrors and all sorts of picture and glass frames. Glass for exportation”.
The firm of Thomas Fentham & Co were amongst the most pre-eminent looking glass and picture frame manufacturers in Regency England. The firm was founded by Thomas Fentham in 1777 and traded from numerous addresses in The Strand throughout its history. From 1793, Fentham was trading from 136 The Strand and upon his death in 1808, the company was taken over by his son Thomas John Fentham and his son in law John Bainbridge. From this point, the company was renamed Thomas Fentham & Co and it is from this period that we can date the mirror’s manufacture. This business was dissolved in 1819 so we can accurately date this piece between 1808 & 1819.
Fentham was a customer of the specialist ornament maker George Jackson and the company undertook numerous society commissions throughout their history including the Earl of Egremont.