Stained Glass Window with Dedication to the 4th Bombay Grenadiers by Lowndes & Drury
A unique stained glass window to the 4th Bombay Grenadiers by Lowndes & Drury.
A dedication to Peter Ward Kimpton, his initials are represented under the flaming grenade insignia of the regiment and commemorates his life following his death in 1944 at the battle of Kohima during the Burmese operations in World War II.
The V&A archives for the firm show that the window itself was commissioned in November 1949 by his brother the architect CS Kimpton FRIBA at a cost of £30. At this time Kimpton was responsible for building works taking place at St Anne’s church in Bagshot where presumably this window was once installed.
Formed in 1896, Lowndes and Drury was a famous partnership between Mary Lowndes and Alfred Drury. Initially based at 35 Park Walk in Chelsea, the firm moved to “The Glass House in 1906, a new purpose built workshop in Fulham designed by Drury and Christopher Whall. Numerous important artists including Christopher Whall, Wilhelmina Geddes and Robert Anning Bell all produced work from this address providing a strong association with the Art Workers Guild and later the Arts & Craft Exhibition Society. Lowndes, a graduate of The Slade School of fine Art also established the Artist’s Suffrage League shortly after the move to “The Glass House” and was responsible for some of the artwork associated with the Suffragette Movement.
Both Lowndes and Drury were deceased by 1940 but the company continued under the direction of Alfred’s son Victor. At this time many of the artists working at the firm were mobilised for war and although this may have been a setback, the stained glass industry went through something of a renaissance after 1945 owing to the upsurge in demand for memorial art. This is one such piece.
Although a little sombre in its subject matter, this is likely to be the only complete piece of Lowndes and Drury stained glass available on the market as most were completed for building installations. A very rare and important window with strong historic affiliation to the Arts & Crafts Movement and the Women’s Suffrage Movement.