William IV Period Spoon Back Armchair with Satin Birch Turned Legs & Castors by Miles & Edwards, London
A William IV or early Victorian period spoon back armchair with satin birch turned legs and brass castors by Miles & Edwards of 134 Oxford Street, London.
Henry Miles & John Edwards were prominent cabinet-makers trading in Oxford Street from 1822 to 1845 whereafter all the company’s undertakings were transferred to a C. Hindley. They were responsible for undertaking commissions for numerous country houses and the stamp pictured would suggest a later date of manufacture.
It is very rare to encounter marked furniture from this period and this piece exudes quality. They are mentioned in Christopher Gilbert’s “Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840” and have been subject to an interesting study by Felicity Mallet entitled “Miles & Edwards of London”. The records of their dealings are held at the Westminster library alongside the Gillows collection.
An armchair of similar style and proportions can be found within the collection of Lydiard House in Swindon.
This chair has been newly reupholstered in a sympathetic fabric style and is ready for use.
Circa 1835 - 1840